Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Wanderings






































































Today it was a sunny, if not brisk day, so I decided to venture outside to familiarize myself with the neighorborhood. The Mill Road area is known for having locally owned shops that display the international character of the people who live here. I'd read about the Antique Shops, so I headed that way. Unfortunately, most vendors aren't open on Sundays (funny to most of us who are from places where people buy mostly on weekends!) The Cambs Antique outlet is the best one I've seen and it is on my street, I pass it ever day! I'm on the hunt for some special artwork for my room for a steal!

I ended up wandering in local shops and stopping and purchasing the sun-dried tomato filled olives from Limoncello, a boutique Italian shop. I bought some veggies from the greengrocer pictured, and then headed to Cafe Paris for a cappacino and coconut macaroon. Each of these shops are owned by people from these countries - Italian, British, French, Brazilian, Arabian, etc - so the goods and services are ligitimately true to their culture. My housemates and I enjoy visiting a particular International Shop that has a post office inside because the owners are so friendly. I will give them my business for a smile anyday!!

My most exciting discovery of the day is the cemetery that is literally just behind the row of houses across my street. It is a pleasant open space and had some beautiful head stones. I met a few other wanderers on the way, a older couple and two families with small children on a Sunday walk. Overall it was a lovely day to help feel more at home here in chilly Cambridge.

2 comments:

Linda Z said...

I just love seeing England through your eyes! The English in me is wanting to hop a plane and see for myself!! :)

I also love cemetaries... especially old ones. Is that weird?

Lori said...

This cemetary is beautiful and peaceful, so I don't think that's weird at all. It puts life in perspective to browse the headstones...makes you ask what would be on my headstone?

You know I would love it if you came to England!