Sunday, November 23, 2008

SNOW!











I woke up this morning to see the first snow since I've been in Cambridge! My housemate Margita was up and ready to cycle to her faculty to work, when she discovered it was snowing! I understand it is typical for it to snow and leave a light dusting on the ground like this and then the rain comes and washes it away within a few hours. (I wish I could have been able to get some more idyllic photos of the colleges in the City Centre, but we are a 15 minute walk away! I'm sure there will be time for that.)

See the little cartoon I added showing the weather? Confused what Snow, Rain and Sun could be doing together? (Me too!) Apparently it's called 'Sleet Shower' and that is the forcast today at 1:00pm when the Emmanuel College Sprint Regata planned for the novice rowing crews. The Cambridge University Combined Boat Clubs have a flag system on their website for regulating the river - green for go, yellow for caution (meaning novices typically can't go out) and red for no go. It is still green so that means that the race is on! In this particular regata we are supposed to dress up, so one of the girls found reindeer antlers and noses for the 8 of us to wear, along with a Santa costume for our cox Richard! It will be quite appropriate with the snow today. I will report back with pictures if I don't freeze first!
So does anyone have any stories about their first snow sightings? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Joey, Katie, Judah and Annie said...

I wish I could give you a snow sighting, but being a native of the central coast, you know that we're still in the high 70's. I wish it were snowing, I can't stop sweating! Love to see you're having so much fun, good luck with your race. You're a stud!