Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Introducing the Housemates


The most amazing part of my Cambridge experience so far is meeting my housemates. The first photo is of Margita from Croatia who is getting her Masters in Education. (Many have told her she looks like Britnany Spears before she went crazy. :)) The second photo is us dolled up for the Black and White BOP, which is essentially an ackward English dance party. Christine to my right is from Hong Kong, but lived in Sydney for many years. She is getting her masters in music education. Next to her is the lovely Jenny from Northern Ireland. She is getting a masters in Environmental Design & Architecture and is absolutely charming in every way. Photo 3 is the only photo I have of the beautiful & sophisticated Elizabeth from Montreal, French Canada. She is studying law and has already been practicing for 6 years or so.
We all arrived with 3 days of one another and are all here for 1 year or less, so we automatically bonded like elementary school girls on the first day of class. We shared the nervousness about meeting one another, so it seemed there was a sign of relief when we all met each other and found out no one was too eccentric or anti-social. Really, almost everyone I have met here is friendly, even if a little nerdy like those Math & Physics guys. :)
I have found time to "chat to" (talk with) all of them and appreciate each of them so much. Margita is a sweetly naive, yet overall joyful person. Christine is the oldest but has a youthful spirit about her since she is ~5 ft tall. She plays piano very well, so I look forward to a concert. Elizabeth reminds me of myself in many ways, reserved, mature, yet very interested in people and open to ideas. She is my neighbor here downstairs in our house. Jenny (from the Block as she's been nicknamed) is the youngest at 24 and very bubbly and fun. She has gone out nearly every night with all her new friends. She is warm and very easy to talk to, which seems like a trait of the Irish. (I have another new Irish friend as well, named Avril.)
Many of the Freshers as they call us have taken advantage of Induction Week to spend as much time their new friends as possible, as it seems we will be absolutely swamped with work for the 8 short weeks of term. The only time we will see each other is at meals and the famed Formal Halls where we come dressed fancy with our gowns and have a 5 course meal. Thankfully most people are "keen" (excited to) come to these events and make the most of their year at Cambridge. I an very keen indeed mate! More photos of friends to come!

4 comments:

RobinZ said...

Lori,

What a lovely bunch...!

Joey, Katie, Judah and Annie said...

Loving your blog! It makes me so happy to know that you already have friends and are enjoying yourself so much. What a blessing with all the last minute unknowns. I wish I was there, I'd love to have tea with you in Cambridge. Keep on with the faithful updates, It's so fun to feel connected and part of your adventure.

Linda Z said...

What beautiful housemates you have. Glad all is going well! It's fun to see your adventures abroad. :)

thesampsonlife said...

I love reading your posts Lori! Keep them coming!