Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rowing on the River Cam



In the fine tradition of Cambridge, I decided to head out to the river to learn more about rowing and all that. Jenny and I got up really early (as you can see) to meet a group at 7:00am to walk the half hour to the boat house. Not being a morning person, I dread the early mornings, but as I crossed the bridge over the river Cam, a feeling of excitement came over me. There is something great about being on the water in the morning - peacefulness, reflection, quietness. When we got to the boat house we were tasked to carry the 8-man boat out of the house, raise it to our shoulders, head and then turn it over into the river. Those with the oars on the water got in first while the others held the boat. The second group crawled in and locked in the oars, all the while listening to the cox for instructions. The whole thing seemed so proper and required such teamwork that it fit me really well and I wanted to go rowing immediately. Unfortunately they didn't let us, we just had to get out and let the next group have a try, but it was a nice teaser as to what to expect. We next tried our the "erg" machines, which are rowing machines, and were shown how to properly row as to not go backwards. The coaches are really nice and supportive, so I didn't feel like an idiot since it was my first time. The photos show people from my college, Hughes Hall. Jenny is wearing our college scarf, which shows our colors. :)


3 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Lori-

It's still Sunday here- weird huh? Anyway, looks like you're having a blast in England and I'm so glad that you've already met so many cool people.

Nancy Pharis said...

Hi Lori Looks like an adventure. Be careful of your shoulder. I can say that since I'm your mom.
Love Mom

Dave, Kristal and Wes said...

Looks cold already!...but also looks beautiful- so fun to learn something new and so British. -kristal